Pennsylvania is a travel nurse’s dream destination! With state-of-the-art healthcare facilities, bustling city centers, and charming small towns dotted throughout, travel nursing in Pennsylvania is the perfect way to experience it all. Healthcare professionals will find a wide range of settings plus plenty of amazing sights to explore during their off-hours. Adventure awaits in every corner of Pennsylvania.
Travel Nursing in Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania has a number of fun destinations and activities to enjoy while living and working there. Rich in history and culture, travel nurses can explore magnificent colonial-era destinations like Philadelphia’s Old City district. Outdoor enthusiasts will love taking a hike through historic Pine Grove Furnace State Park or kayaking along the Susquehanna River at Lake Redman.
In addition, many travel nurses enjoy touring the nation’s oldest seaside resort, Atlantic City. Whether it’s historical sites and monuments or modern attractions, travel nurses in Pennsylvania can find something for everyone and ensure it’s an adventure to remember!
Cost of Living
This beautiful state offers an overall lower cost of living than many other places, allowing travel nurses to save their hard-earned money without having to make any major financial sacrifices. In Pennsylvania, you can find affordable housing in suburban and urban areas alike.
Pennsylvania is ranked 15th in terms of basic affordability. Those seeking city life will find vibrant art scenes and exciting attractions in Philadelphia, while those who prefer rural living can explore the beautiful mountainous regions outside the city limits.
Additionally, travel nurses will appreciate how much money they can save on groceries while they live in Pennsylvania. You can’t survive on Philly cheesesteaks alone! The state has a low overall food cost compared to its neighboring states.
Public transportation is readily available in many cities and towns. And plenty of great neighborhoods are full of restaurants and entertainment centers nearby.
Hospitals and Healthcare Systems
Pennsylvania is home to some of the best healthcare systems in the nation. With renowned hospitals, healthcare professionals, and support staff, Pennsylvania offers a well-rounded healthcare experience for all state citizens.
Home to leading healthcare organizations, Pennsylvania offers travel nursing jobs in settings that are dedicated to delivering the best in patient care and safety. With over 70 hospitals, primary care centers and health centers across the state, these health systems are dedicated to providing top-notch healthcare services from rural to urban areas alike.
Not only do they offer excellent clinical treatments and procedures, but many of them also promote research, medical education, and advancements in health technology that keeps Pennsylvania at the forefront of health innovation.
Where to Go
If you’re looking for a travel assignment in Pennsylvania, then look no further! From the City of Brotherly Love to the lush forests in the Poconos, Pennsylvania has something for every kind of travel nurse. There’s never a shortage of things to do in this remarkable state!
Here are a few of the best locations for travel nursing jobs:
- Erie: It’s called the “Gem City” due to the shimmering light over the lake. As a travel nursing destination, it also provides plenty of opportunities in its variety of hospitals and clinics. Erie is also known for its rich history, beautiful natural wonders, family-friendly attractions, great outdoor recreation spots and plenty of fun options for dining and entertainment. It’s also situated halfway between Cleveland, OH and Buffalo, NY.
- Reading: Reading, PA is an excellent destination for travel nurses. Its close proximity to other major cities in the mid-atlantic region, such as Philadelphia and New York, makes travel nursing in Reading truly unique. This charming city also boasts a variety of historic sites preserving its rich history, such as Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church and Shoppers City Center.
- Pittsburgh: With three rivers flowing through the city of bridges and its energetic professional sports teams, there’s a lot to explore. Spend beautiful days in vibrant downtown Pittsburgh discovering the local culture or pay homage to veterans at the memorials. There’s no shortage of scenic countryside hikes either, or you can take a break at one of Pittsburgh’s 446 parks, many containing stunning landmarks such as Allegheny Commons or Phipps Conservatory.
- Philadelphia: There’s something for everyone in the City of Brotherly Love. Home to some of America’s greatest museums, including the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Franklin Institute Science Museum. This city is famous for its rich history, on display at the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall (where the Declaration of Independence and Constitution were signed), and other American Revolutionary sites.
- Lancaster: This wonderful Pennsylvania city is full of life and opportunity. With its bustling downtown center and abundance of outdoor activities to explore, it’s no surprise that travel nurses are drawn to the region. Enjoy trails along the Susquehanna River and the nearby Amish country. There are plenty of exciting advantages to using Lancaster as your travel hub.
- Harrisburg: Harrisburg, PA has something for everyone. The Harrisburg Capitol Building displays incredible architectural beauty and hosts a variety of events ranging from farmers’ markets to concerts. There’s also the Susquehanna Art Museum and State Park System, offering art galleries and plenty of outdoor activities like camping, horseback riding, and fishing.
- York: It’s located in Southeast Pennsylvania and is rich in American history. It also boasts fun experiences for outdoor adventure seekers. Travel nurses can travel to places like Susquehanna State Park and Codorus State Park for boating, fishing, biking, and camping. Additionally, the downtown area provides entertainment venues such as the Strand Capitol Theater and Appell Center for the Performing Arts.
Enhanced Nursing Licensure Compact (eNLC)
Pennsylvania recently enacted legislation to join the enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact (eNLC). This makes it even easier to expand your clinical nursing experience while exploring other states and locations, simplifying the licensure process, and making travel more efficient. Now more than ever, travel nurses can take advantage of job opportunities without having to incur expensive fees or deal with mountains of additional paperwork.
PA Travel Nursing Jobs
Pennsylvania is a state you simply must experience yourself. For travel nurses, Pennsylvanian offers abundant job opportunities to provide care while also getting to explore cities packed with culture and history. With its bustling centers, charming small towns, and wide range of health services, it makes perfect sense for aspiring Working Tourists to make the Keystone State their new home away from home.
So what are you waiting for? Pack your bags and start your next travel nursing adventure today in the beautiful state of Pennsylvania!
the shc blog