We can all agree that there are some essential travel apps you should always take on the road with you. As a nurse, you probably also have some great medical apps that can help you out on the job as well.
As a travel nurse, you have unique needs for apps that intersect travel and healthcare: apps that can cater to your needs for housing for a 13-week assignment and to manage your documentation contract to contract across different states. Be sure to add these apps to your packing list ahead of your next travel assignment!
Best Apps for Travel Nursing
For Trip Planning
In addition to checking conditions on the Drive Weather app, monitoring traffic along your route in Google Maps or Waze, and compiling the perfect playlist for your journey on Spotify, be sure to use apps for sightseeing along the way.
- RoadTrippers: With RoadTrippers, you can spend some time seeing the sites along the way to your next assignment and get suggestions you may not have otherwise stumbled upon. There are plenty of ways to route your trip between destinations including national parks, scenic byways, and obscure stopovers. It’s a must for any long-distance road trip.
- Atlas Obscura: If you’re looking for something off the beaten path, check out Atlas Obscura. With over 22,000 unique locations across the world and over 9,000 throughout the country, there are so many cool and unusual attractions to include as part of your next travel nursing assignment.
Most importantly, you’ll need a place to stay during your travel assignment and sometimes housing options for travel nurses can be limited, especially if you need something affordable, furnished, or pet friendly.
- Furnished Finders: If you’re looking for housing options specific for travel nurses, check out Furnished Finder. Furnished Finder is the first housing app geared towards travel nurses and offers 30+ day options to line up perfectly with your next contract or extension.
- Nurse BnB: Many nurses find luck for short-term rentals on apps like Airbnb and VRBO, but Nurse BnB is one step further. Built by nurses, for nurses and other healthcare professionals.
It’s hard to know exactly what to do or where to go when you’re travel nursing in a new area. If you’re close to the outdoors, getting out in nature on your day off is always fun. For those that want to be active in the gym, flexibility from a yearly membership is key.
- AllTrails: AllTrails can show you trails based on distance, difficulty, and scenery. The app can even show you recent pictures and comments from hikers for condition updates and views from the hike.
- ClassPass: Another way to try out new activities in your temporary home is with the ClassPass app. This is perfect for the active traveler to try out new gyms and workout studios in your city without an annual commitment to a set place. Choose your level and you’ll get monthly points to use for online and in-person classes or gym time.
For Meeting People
Outside of other nurses at work, it can be challenging to create a close network on assignment. There are plenty of groups and networks to help make meeting people while travel nursing easier.
- Meetup: Meetup is the perfect way to meet people with similar interests in your area. Whether you’re a foodie or looking for a book club, there are plenty of groups to choose from based on your hobbies.
- NextDoor: NextDoor connects you with another great network nearby – your neighbors! Once you’ve confirmed your address, you’ll be able to see what’s going on in your neighborhood, including events, updates, and crime/safety.
For Staying Organized
Keeping track of everything while you’re traveling can be stressful. Luckily, there are apps that make it easier to keep track of important documents for your travel nursing career.
- Nurse Backpack: Nurse Backpack helps you manage your credentialing on the road and can send you notifications to keep you updated on expiring compliance.
- Receipt Tracker: Keeping track of all of your documents for tax purposes can be complicated when you’re a travel nurse traveling in different states. You can use apps like Expensify or CamScanner to keep track of your receipts for all your living expenses on each travel assignment.
Check out travel nurse Rachel’s travel assignment in Tucson to see some of these apps in action!
Travel Nursing Jobs
Supplemental Health Care has travel nursing jobs across the country to get you started in your career in your dream destination as a travel nurse. Contact our recruiting team to learn more or search open travel nursing positions on our job portal.
What are your favorite apps for travel nursing? Let us know in the comments.
the shc blog