If one of your 2019 New Year’s resolutions is to give your career a boost, something every healthcare professional should consider is taking on a per diem assignment. From hospitals to minute clinics, to community health centers, there are opportunities across the board. Here are several reasons why it’s a good idea to boost your career with per diem.
- Work around your current schedule. Whether you are already working full time or part-time, a recruiter can locate a per diem opportunity that works around your schedule and suits your needs. Often times, per diem is the perfect opportunity for nurses and therapist that have unique family situations that requires them to work odd shifts or varying days. No matter what your personal circumstance is, per diem may be the perfect option for you to capture the hours you need.
- Check out a new specialty. If you have been in one position or one setting for a while, now is the perfect time to branch out and try something new. Per diem opportunities can help you discover a new setting or specialty and reinvigorate your passion for the job. If you have been tossing around the idea of making a change, instead of diving into the deep end, you might just want to wade in slowly with a per diem assignment.
- Keep it fresh. Another reason healthcare professionals like to branch out with per diem assignments is for the change of scenery. Depending on your location, there can be any number of healthcare facilities that are looking for someone with your skill set to help out on occasion. Experiencing new protocols or learning new ways of doing things is a great way to keep your skills sharp.
- Expand your network. You never know when you are going to meet someone who can help you take your career to the next level. Whether it be a fantastic recruiter, who helps you line up a per diem opportunity or an administrator who is working at the facility where you are picking up extra shifts. The more people you meet in the healthcare industry, the better your chances of creating and capitalizing on unexpected opportunities.
- Get your foot in the door. Is there a hospital or healthcare organization that you have always wanted to work at? The best way to get your foot in the door is to take on a per diem assignment there. Not only is it a great opportunity to make a lasting impression and meet key decision makers, if a permanent position opens up, you will already have a leg up on your competition. Another benefit is that while you are working per diem shifts there, you can gain first-hand knowledge about whether or not the grass really is greener or if the work environment isn’t all that you had imagined.
- Save for that dream vacation. Any mention of working per diem assignments without talking about the extra financial compensation would be a mistake. If you have your heart set on a dream vacation for the family, or even a special cruise for you and a loved one, working per diem is a great way to get closer to setting sail. Per diem assignments pay very competitive rates, and if you manage that extra income well, there is no limit to the benefits you can reap.
As you can see, there are many reasons for taking on per diem assignments, and each of them can boost your career in a different way. If you are looking for a career partner with a nationwide network of local offices and industry relationships that can help you secure the perfect per diem opportunity, contact a Supplemental Health Care recruiter today.
the shc blog